Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Friday, February 1, 2013

Ali in Wonderland: And Other Tall Tales

Ali in Wonderland: And Other Tall Tales by Ali Wentworth has been on my list for quite some time. I finally spotted it on the library shelf and snapped it up in a hot second.

Ali Wentworth is the daughter of a former White House social secretary and Washingtonian-insider-like cadre. She stepped out of the box and pursued comedy (and thank goodness she did--she's funny!), starring in In Living Color among others. She married a famed political journalist, but before she did this she lived a wild and crazy life on both coasts that involved boarding school shenanigans, a mugging in LA, and several engagements. She shares them with us for our very own rollicking good time.

I had a blast with this book. It's on the short side and it makes for a great beach read. Ali (yes, we are on a first-name basis in this post) is an absolute riot. She writes for my sense of humor--irreverent, in off-topic binges, and with no regard for bad language restraint. I appreciate that in a humorist.

Her essays are about everything--her thirty (ok, or maybe three) engagements (including the one with the Frenchman that was destined to go wrong when he came to visit her family), the time she called 911 when she was under the impression that a death threat came via a hang-up phone call, and the time she stole an entire bag of cocaine from the Mexican drug cartel by accident. It's like Ali and I are soulmates.

I had such fun with this book on a rainy afternoon. I laughed out loud, enjoyed a cup of tea, and reminded myself to take life with a grain of salt, just like Ali.

This book is yours for the taking. Kindle version on left, hard copy on right:

No comments:

Post a Comment