Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Monday, February 25, 2013

The Teleporation Accident

What on earth do I call this novel? A roller coaster ride of awesome, I would say. This is Ned Beauman's The Teleportation Accident.

Egon Loeser is a set designer in 1930's Berlin who is having difficulty getting his play produced and getting any woman to sleep with him. When a young woman formerly in his tutelage returns to town quite, ahem, grown up, he falls madly in love and follows her throughout Berlin (while avoiding introducing her to that louse, Brecht), Paris (while getting caught up in an American's shenanigans), and Los Angeles (while getting into his own shenanigans).

This book was hands down the best laugh I have had this year. Beauman's writing felt so similar to Jonathan Ames, and we all know I am a huge fan of his work. I found myself laughing out loud on the train at Egon and his poor decisions--but I was so thankful for them! I found myself stopping to just bathe in the sharp-witted writing and the incredibly well-developed lead character of Egon. I kid you not when I tell you that I found myself wave-laughing--as in you feel the laugh coming from your gut but you try to stop it so it ends up being a mouth-buzz-like laugh which only makes you laugh harder as you step back and realize that this book is awesome.

This book felt art deco, speakeasy, and metropolitan. I seriously, seriously, seriously loved it. I loved Egon's trip to Los Angeles (where he walked the length of Sunset Boulevard thinking Americans are ridiculous with their need to drive everywhere and ended up in shambles). I loved his obsession with the young woman he was chasing whose name I will not give away because it's a part of the book's charm; it was delightful and light and airy yet still a literary meal. I loved this book.

I want to hunt Ned Beauman down and marry him--any man who writes as witty as this is someone I must find and charm and make love me back.

You must read this. Kindle on the left, hard copy on the right:

No comments:

Post a Comment