Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Andalucian Friend: A Novel

Alexander Soderberg's The Andalucian Friend was such a genuine mindf&%# that I can't wait for you to read it for yourself--that's just how awesome this experience was for me.

Hector Guzman is the powerful leader of a crime syndicate in Stockholm. Someone tries to break his legs, he winds up in a hospital, and meets Sophie Brinkmann, a single mother and devoted nurse. She is intrigued by this man and agrees to meet him again outside of the hospital and finds herself embroiled in an international feud between families, criminals, and the police that seems to have more curves than the Andes mountains. If she can make it out alive, will she lose everything--or gain so much more?

This book is a solid piece of work and I ripped through it like it was a picture book for three-year-olds. I debated cancelling class yesterday so that I could finish it in piece--I mean, how was I supposed to lecture on cultural diversity when the Russians were trying to kill the Spaniards? Who would live? And who would die? HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO WORK UNDER THESE CONDITIONS?!?

Seriously, though, this story is so ingeniously crafted and so consistent across the board that it is as addicting to a serious reader as pixie sticks are to small pageant contestants. The characters are beautifully shaped and are so vivid and so authentic that I honestly expect to encounter them the next time I travel to Scandinavia. In fact, this book has such a hook in me that I may just go there before the year is out.

Soderberg has built a spiderweb of a story that will keep you on the edge of your seat (quite literally, if you are riding NYC transportation) and will make you miss parts of your life for fear that the story will go on with you. I. Love. This. Book. So. Hard.

And then I find out this is the first book of a forthcoming trilogy??? Holy hell, I don't think you understand how much I am currently salivating for the second book. Hurry, please, Mr. Soderberg?

For you, dear readers. Don't miss this one. Kindle on left, hard copy on right.

No comments:

Post a Comment