Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Miniature Wife and Other Stories

The Miniature Wife and Other Stories by Manuel Gonzales. Let's get started.

A plane is hijacked and it never lands. A man miniaturizes his wife--and there is hell to pay. A zombie tries to make it as a person in the real world. A strange beast is eating all of the animals. Africa (as in the continent) is gone. Also, you should always bring cash to a killing. This crazy and incredible book of short stories will knock your socks off. I lie not.

I had no idea what to expect jumping into this book and thank goodness for that. Every story I read sucked me in like a vacuum and sunk its tentacles in me like an octopus. I felt like I dove headfirst into the spine of this book and lived inside of it for a few days. I started each new story with trepidation not because I didn't like the book, but because I knew that I would lose myself for a period of time and wake up in a world where things are so insane it's delightful.

I have been recommending this book nonstop since I got to the middle story. It's wild and completely unpredictable; not every story has an otherworldly tint to it but that's part of it's charm. You never know what you are going to get next. Gonzales is a superb writer and his voice is one that we will be hearing from again and again as the years roll on. His imagination rivals the best of them, and his pen glides across the page to create narratives that are astounding.

Did I mention you should always bring cash to a killing? (This was my favorite story.)

I adored, adored, adored this book. Amazing. Phenomenal. A must-read.

Get this book NOW. Kindle on left, hard copy on right:

No comments:

Post a Comment