Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Monday, March 25, 2013

The Road

I own this book in several forms--nice copy, highlight copy, Kindle copy. It is, hands down, my all-time favorite. Cormac McCarthy's The Road.

A post-apocalyptic America sees a father and son on a journey alone, heading to the coast. They are not sure where, , and they can not be certain what awaits them. They only know that to stay still means certain death. They have lost everything, but they have each other.

To tell you anything more would be a travesty on my part. This novel had me in pieces on the subway the first time I ventured through it. I almost missed my stop just to finish the final pages. I have read it over and over, again and again and I fall apart every time. I feel beyond devastated to the point of emptiness; it's as if McCarthy is performing open-heart surgery on me without anesthetic and with no regard to my humanness. I mean this in the absolute best way possible, because this book is genuinely one of the greatest masterpieces of our generation.

Every time I crack this book open I feel a rush of love and excitement almost immediately followed by an acute sense of loss. This book is my friend and my confidante and is so endemic of the human condition. We love fiercely and we lose anyway, but we will do all we can to protect what we have until the bitter end.

This should probably be on your shelf. Kindle on left, hard copy on right.

No comments:

Post a Comment