Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Monday, April 15, 2013

Jerusalem: The Story of a City and a Family

I was wholeheartedly blown away by Boaz Yakin and Nick Bertuzzi's Jerusalem: A Story of a City and a Family. When I got my hands on this book I was bowled over.

During a volatile period in the world's history (1940-1948), a family sticks together to make it through the chaos. Over three generations, fifteen family members make it though years of war and family strife. Members of the family leave, never to return; others show up unexpectedly. Altogether they find a way to have faith in their country and themselves.

This graphic novel was just positively stunning. I was blown away by the conceptual yet so realistic setting of the story and the graphics in this book. Graphic novels are necessary for emotional depth. Pictures are needed when words fail.

The story is raw and painful at times. I can't even begin to imagine what one must go through living in a time of war; this novel, however, begins to represent it pictorially for the reader. It's an honest and lovingly depicted story, and it's so clear how much Yakin cares about his past and wants to share it with the world. He does it in such a brilliant way that it is a gift from him to us.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment