Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Friday, April 26, 2013

Life: A Memoir

I have been wanting to read this for quite a while, so I took the plunge recently and settled in with my favorite Rolling Stone. This Celebrity Memoir Friday is Life by Keith Richards.

What is there to say? This is the Keith Richards story as told by Keith Richards. It's funny and honest, clear and musical. Richards spends part of the time talking about his history and the other part about his craft, both parts of which are positively lovely and fascinating. I loved hearing about how my favorite songs came about; I love that "Wild Horses" was inspired by country music and that the history behind it is so nuanced yet complicated.

I loved hearing about Richards' love life and his adoration toward his children. This book made Richards into more than a caricature that is easily made from his persona, be it the drug-addled hilarity of Gimme Shelter or the inspired Captain Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean that was taken from Richards showing Johnny Depp how he never turned his back to a corner while high. This book made Richards human.

Richards is my favorite Stone and I loved this book. It was delightful, and of course I would recommend it if you love the man. Just be prepared to spend a few extra dollars on the Stones albums you don't already own when you finish--you will want them.

For you. Kindle version on left; hard copy on right.

No comments:

Post a Comment