Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Best of Us: A Novel

The winter doldrums won't get the best of me--I picked up Sarah Pekkanen's The Best of Us in order to vicariously live through their Jamaican vacation of relaxation, sun, and fun.

Four college friends reunite for a week-long trip to Jamaica to celebrate Dwight's thirty-fifth birthday. Dwight has gone from super nerd to one of the richest men in America, so the vacation is on him. His wife, Pauline, spares no expense for the trip--only she is covering up a deep dark family secret. Tina and Giovanni, college sweethearts, are struggling to raise four kids while keeping their marriage on track. Savannah's husband doesn't show up for the vacation, so she must admit to her friends they are separating. Allie is running from a secret that may destroy her perfect life. Together they all seek to find peace in their lives in the most idyllic spot on earth.

My expectation going into this book was that it was going to be chick-lit-y. It was a little, don't get me wrong, but I was so impressed by the character development. Pekkanen is a genuine and smart writer who knows how to craft people on the page who become three dimensional and real. I was quite taken with these people and their stories that I didn't want to put the book down. I wanted to live inside this Jamaican villa for just the length of this story. These people were so flawed, so honest, and so fun--it was a joy to feel that I was a part of this group of friends.

This book is an excellent beach read for this upcoming summer. I am thankful that I read it while vacationing through 20cm of snow--I was aching for some sun and I felt that I was on vacation with this group vicariously. I enjoyed my time with this book and would highly recommend you pick it up yourself for some lounge chair relaxation by the pool.

Kindle version on left, hard copy on right.

No comments:

Post a Comment