Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Monday, April 1, 2013

The Phantom Tollbooth

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster has become one of my favorite books.  I didn't read it as a child, and I only came to it on it's 50th anniversary when I read a blurb about it in Entertainment Weekly touting the anniversary edition.  I was so fascinated by the work, however, that I fell hopelessly and maddeningly in love.

I don't think I would have appreciated the brilliance of this book as a young person.  As an adult I read with such glee the puns on words and numbers.  I giggled like a child at the cleverness of the word play and the use of particles of speech.

There isn't a lot I want to say because I feel that if you don't read this that you are missing out.  What love and fondness I have for this book, and for this journey, and for, at the end of the story, the understanding that to keep from being bored with life we have a mission that we owe to ourselves.  Be a little more curious and be a little more open, as you never know what you might accomplish if you don't know what you can't do.

Thank you, Mr. Juster and Mr. Feiffer for completing my world.

For you to own:

No comments:

Post a Comment