Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Monday, May 20, 2013

Golden Boy: A Novel

Aaaaaahhhh. I love a good novel. Abigail Tarttelin's Golden Boy was just that.

Max is a fifteen-year-old high school student who is practically perfect in every way--the Golden Boy of the title. Except he has a secret. He was born intersex. Very few people know outside of the immediate family; one of these is a family friend whom Max has known since he was a child. When this friend betrays Max in the ultimate way, Max must examine who he is, both in gender and in life, and what he wants out of a world that can be cold and cruel, yet have people in it who can be so kind.

I was utterly fascinated by this book. I kept itching to come back to it to see where it was going. I was floored by the premise, and I was even more floored when I sat back to think that this book, written with such love and pathos, dug deep into the psyche of a young man who is neither male nor female. Max must grapple with so much more than your average teenager, and when he discovers the difficulty his mother had with his "condition" as an infant, I wondered what it would take to break him. How much pain and misunderstanding can one teenager take?

This was a lovely and wonderful book, and I am glad I picked it up last week to escape from the doldrums of life. It was fascinating and honest, caring and open.

Kindle version on left, hard copy on right.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment