Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Friday, May 17, 2013

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

After seeing the most recent remake of the film based on this book, I ran home and requested John Le Carre's Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy.

How does one even synopsize this sucker?  It's one doozy of a tale involving a mole in the British version of the CIA called the Circus.  When the long-time leader of the Circus dies of a heart attack, many are forced out by his sketchy co-workers.  George Smiley was one of those forced out.  A year later he is called in on a separate and covert mission to determine who in this new contingent is a mole for the Soviets and has given away one of their own.

This book is not for the faint of heart.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and felt it was incredibly well-structured and beautifully written.  However, there were many pages that I had to go back and re-read in order to figure out what was happening in the present.  You almost need a flow chart in order to keep up. 

It's a spy novel, and one that has kept up with the test of time.  Oh yes, it's historical--it's based in a time when spying was still considered elegant and intriguing.  This is a book you commit to, which to be frank, I am glad I did not know before I picked it up.  I have commitment issues.  However, I think it's fair to warn you, dear readers.  It's worth it, most definitely.  Buckle your seat belt and jump in.

For your shelves:

No comments:

Post a Comment