Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Friday, June 28, 2013

Wave: A Memoir

Memoir is one of my favorite genres, bar none. I love a good thriller, mystery, true crime, etc., but memoir will always rank toward the top. Wave by Sonali Deraniyagala has been rated as one of the top memoirs of 2013, and I couldn't agree more.

The day after Christmas, 2003. Off the coast of Sri Lanka, a giant wave unexpectedly overtakes the land off the coast, as far as two miles inland. Hundreds of thousands of lives were lost. Five of those lives were the Sonali's family--her husband, her two small boys, and her two parents. She doesn't want to go on living without her family, and few can blame her. Friends and family come from all over the world to sit watch over her to protect her from herself. Over the next decade, Sonali struggles to regain her strength and to rebuild a life without those whom she cherished more than anything else in the world.

This book will knock. your. socks. off. Like, right off your feet. Boom. Off.

You will sit mesmerized by Sonali's retelling of the events of December 26, 2003. You will desperately search with her for her family after she is rescued from the devastation. You will cry with her as she recounts the first few days, weeks, months, and years after this date. You will feel your heart warm as she goes back in time and recounts moments from her childhood, meeting her husband, and building a family with him. You will hide your head in shame as she details her mental breakdown and stalking of the new inhabitants of her childhood home. You will cry with her as she spells out her grief and the absolute devastation that wave brought on to her life. You will share her outrage at her friends and family telling her that she will move on--you know as well as she does that moving on is damned near impossible. You will ride this roller coaster of hell as she tries so desperately to rebuild her life. You, too, will experience the difficulty of what to tell people when they ask if she has a family.

(What am I talking about? You. I meant me. This is how I felt and I have no doubt you will feel the exact same way. So go on--get the book already.)

Kindle version on left, hard copy on right:

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole! Great review!

    Do you accept books for review on your site? I have another great memoir that I think you may enjoy and would love to send you a copy?

    Just let me know! Samanthajolien@gmail.com

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sami,

      Thanks for dropping in! I sure do. I will send you an email this evening.

      I always love hearing from readers!

      Nicole

      Delete