Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Longings of Wayward Girls: A Novel

I picked up Karen Brown's The Longings of Wayward Girls this weekend without a clue as to the darkness I was getting into. Yummy.

Sadie is a hometown girl--she was raised an only child in the bucolic New England town by a wannabe actress mother, she married a good man in her twenties, and settled down to raise her children in the same place. Twenty years later, the return of a boy from her childhood brings to the surface the reminder of the horrible results of one particular summer prank. Without warning, the mystery begins to unravel, and with it, Sadie's marriage, family, and life.

This novel was super intriguing--I feel like my brow was furrowed for most of it trying to put the pieces together in an orderly fashion. That is a good thing, by the way; I love a book that makes me think for hours after. Brown really captured the mix of emotions of Sadie--she loves her husband but is slightly bored with life while still caring deeply about her children. Flawed women with strength are my faves, so it's no surprise that I found Sadie interesting, complicated, and deep.

Brown has a stylistic way of writing that keeps your eyes on the page. I know I have used "intriguing" earlier in this post, but it's the word I want to use over and over and over again. I was just so constantly curious about what happened that summer that I kept going back every time I had to walk away from the book.

Fascinating and intriguing.

Kindle version on left, hard copy on right.

No comments:

Post a Comment