Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Which Brings Me To You: A Novel in Confessions

Oh, how I love a unique novel. This one is epistolary, and so original in concept and execution. This is Steve Almond and Julianna Baggott's Which Brings Me to You.

A woman and a man meet at a wedding. They almost sleep together in a coat closet--until he decides he might actually kind of like her and may not want to ruin it by sleeping together on the first non-date. Instead, he suggests they get to know each other the old fashioned way--through letters in the mail. What these two learn through the process of communication, about each other and about themselves, will either lead to the greatest romance in history or one hell of a romantic bomb. 

I had a blast with this book. It was such a unique concept for a story that I was fascinated by the layout. The character development was really great--by the end of the book I felt that I grew to know each of these people as separate individuals yet the potential beginning of coupledom. It was really fascinating and fun.

Dating in the time of electronic communication is frustrating, full of constant misunderstanding, and general untruths that can be dispelled with the click of a mouse. (I know, I'm in the midst of it.) It was heartening to read the story of a couple who was able to move past the lack of emotion in text messaging and awkward silences over the phone to pour out their feelings on paper. (Yes, these are fictional characters.) Taking stock of your romantic past to a potential romantic future--daring and awesome.

Hard copy for purchase below.

No comments:

Post a Comment