Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

ADHD According to Zoe: The Real Deal on Relationships, Finding Your Focus, & Finding Your Keys

I was excited to see a book on adult ADHD before I promptly became distracted by a shiny object. This is ADHD According to Zoe: The Real Deal on Relationships, Finding Your Focus, & Finding Your Keys by Zoe Kessler.

Zoe Kessler was diagnosed with ADHD in her 40’s—and a wave of relief of having a diagnosis combined with horror at the very same thing washed over her. Isn’t ADHD that thing that only pre-adolescent boys deal with? This sends Zoe, a blogger and a journalist, on a quest to understand her diagnosis and in turn, herself. This book combines funny (and sometimes painfully shocking) stories that illustrate Kessler’s points with the abundance of research she has found over the years to help her and to, in turn, help others.

This book is impressively well-researched and provides great references and tips for those currently dealing with ADHD as an adult--in particular, it is an excellent resource for women. Zoe has a relatable voice that is easy to read and makes you smile. It felt like I was getting drinks with her at the local dive bar and she was giving me tips on how to deal with my lack of focus. (Hypothetically speaking, you know, if I were dealing with the symptoms…)
This felt less like a self-help book and more like speaking amongst friends; I think this is so important in ADHD help literature as it can be embarrassing to confront in adulthood. Making people, particularly women, aware of how to address their symptoms in a practical and everyday way is niche that Zoe fills, and you should think about getting this for the zoned-out woman in your life. Just sayin’—it might be more helpful than you think.

For you!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Nicole.

    Thanks so much for reviewing my book. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I hope it helps tons of women like us. Oops, I meant - like me (and men, too; Melissa Orlov, ADHD relationship consultant and author of The ADHD Effect on Marriage, told me that her male clients will relate to this as well.)

    Thanks again for spreading the word!

    Cheers,
    Zoë Kessler
    Author, ADHD According to Zoë, New Harbinger Publications, 2013

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy you found the post, Zoe! And of course for writing the book and sharing your experiences.

      Nicole

      Delete