Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Friday, August 23, 2013

Love Rehab: A Novel in Twelve Steps

I needed something short and fun for a day in the sun and water, so I picked up Jo Piazza's Love Rehab: A Novel in Twelve Steps. It was just what the book doctor (booktor?) ordered.

Sophie is having a very hard time getting over her breakup. Her ex-boyfriend cheated on her with his secretary but she still can't shake him, resorting to incessant late night texting and wallowing in self-pity. When she suddenly inherits her grandmother's house in New Jersey, she finds herself attending an AA meeting with her best friend. It then occurs to her--what women need is love rehab. Sophie builds a house for wayward women, those seeking refuge from love gone sour. But can she learn to love herself more than the jerk who broke her heart?

This was an excellent book for a day of fun in the sun. It required my buy-in and my attention while still making me giggle and sometimes roll my eyes in astonishment at Sophie's antics. It contained enough romance to be chick lit but lacked the romancey-ness that I avoid in novels. Sophie is flawed, of course--I mean, come on, she creates a rehab to help her get over her cheating loser of an ex. But she finds strength in numbers and through her calling to support others in their quest to mend their broken hearts.

I had fun with this book, and sometimes you need that guffaw loud, glad-I'm-not-her feeling in a book. This book just made me happy. And I like books that make me happy.

Kindle version on left, hard copy on right.

No comments:

Post a Comment