Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Identical

I really enjoy Scott Turow. I find his novels to be page-turners. This is his latest, Identical.

Dita Kronon was murdered in her bedroom 25 years ago. She was young, saucy, and beautiful. Her boyfriend, Cass, was convicted of the crime and served out his sentence; he now returns home to his identical twin brother, Paul, who is running for mayor of their town. Dita's older brother, Hal, is a very wealthy man with an axe to grind--he believes Paul had a hand in his sister's murder and publicly demands the truth, running a smear campaign against Paul. Hal's lead investigator sets out to dig up old secrets, never expecting to find what he does.

As I said, I really enjoy Turow's writing and how he weaves together an inviting narrative. He creates characters that are super intriguing and make you want to understand them better. His tales are always woven together like an intricate spider web; once you get caught in it, you have a hard time getting out. I found myself wanting to come back to the story again and again, and I felt my brain work harder than with most books. I like that.

I will say in full disclosure that I was able to figure out what happened fairly early on, but there is a reason for this--I have read most of Turow's books so I was aware of how he plays his game. If you have yet to pick up Presumed Innocent and Innocent (in that order!!!), you will be pleasantly surprised by what you find in Identical. It may very well blow your mind. And if you haven't read the previously mentioned two books, pause everything and get yourself the first immediately. I realized as I began this post that I read them prior to starting this blog, so I will have to make a special post to talk about how deeply amazing they are.

To be clear, figuring things out for myself in no way took away from my enjoyment of this book. I would absolutely recommend it for your reading pleasure, especially as we come upon the holiday season and I you may need to escape the family for some hours to regain my your sanity. I always look forward to Turow's next book.

Just don't expect to be able to put it down.

Kindle version on left, hard copy on right. 


And just in case you want one of the best legal thrillers of all time, the Kindle link is on the left and the hard copy is on the right. You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment