Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Monday, October 28, 2013

The Execution of Noa P. Singleton: A Novel

Aaaaahhhhhh. You can finish reading this post, or you can go ahead and read The Execution of Noa P. Singleton by Elizabeth L. Silver, then come back to this post. Because seriously, you won't be able to put it down. Or sleep. Or talk...

Noa P. Singleton is slated for execution in just a few short months. She didn't actively participate in her own trial, and she has yet to lift a finger to appeal her sentence. Three months before X-day she is visited by the mother of the woman she killed who is looking for answers in return for commuting Noa's sentence. Will Noa open up with the truth about that night? Is she willing to trade her reasons for murder in return for her life? Or will she go to her grave, the only one knowing the dark secrets that drove her to take someone's life?

I picked up this book from the library and gulped it down in less than 36 hours. I sat next to a friend at the park and told him not to speak to me unless there was an emergency. I dove in head-first and wiggled my way all the way down to the bottom of this book because it stuck it's secretive and poker-faced story-like tentacles into my brain and wouldn't let go. I had no choice.

Silver holds her cards close to the vest and only lets you know a snippet of information at a time which makes you horribly, desperately, hopelessly in need of continued reading in order to find information that you can't live without. It was like the slow unrolling of a twenty-foot carpet with a special birthday surprise tucked all the way at the end; at some point I wanted to yell at the book to just tell me already.

It was magnificent.

The character development was excellent, the story was (as I might have mentioned) superb, and when I closed this book I breathed a sigh of...well, not relief, because there is no satisfaction in a story like this. I breathed a sigh of contentment with the excellence of the story and the ability to capture greatness in the work.

Kindle version on the left, hard copy on the right. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment