Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Last Winter of Dani Lancing: A Novel

I needed a deep, dark, mystery novel to take my mind off of life for a while, so I picked up The Last Winter of Dani Lancing by P. D. Viner.

Two decades ago, the young and beautiful Dani Lancing was murdered. A university student and beloved daughter, her murder shocked those who knew her. Broken by her death, and finding out that her daughter's case will eventually be reviewed in light of new DNA technology, her mother, Patti, takes it upon herself to procure the evidence, find the prime suspect, and make him pay the ultimate price. This sets in motion a series of life-altering events for her, Dani's father Jim, high school sweetheart Tom, and others, leading to the discovery that things are never what the seem.

I was addicted to Dani's world for 48 strait hours. I couldn't read what I had to read for school; I couldn't focus on magazine articles or student papers. I had to find out what on earth happened to Dani. I flip-flopped on whom I believed killed her, never suspecting what actually happened. What I probably loved most about this novel (beside the edge-of-my-seat thrill of the plot) was the ultimate understanding that no matter how much you think you know about those around you, you may actually be clueless as to who they really are. Dani held back so much of her university life from her family and friends that it wasn't until all the pieces came together that even those closest to her knew her deep dark secrets. I didn't suspect it.

The early chapters are so intriguing and brow-furrowing; something is happening and you can't quite tell what. I couldn't tell who was being held hostage and why; the back-and-forth kept me reading until I was hooked on the book like a sixth grader on Cheetos. This is well worth a read for the dark and cold nights coming up this winter; if you want to feel chilled to the bone this is worth a read. It worked for me.

Kindle version on left, hard copy on right.

No comments:

Post a Comment