Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Friday, November 29, 2013

If You Were Me and Lived In...KENYA!

If you recall from Children's Book Week this summer, I fell madly in love with Carole P. Roman's If You Were Me series. So when I get a call from her to look at her new book, the answer is a resounding YES.

If I were you and lived in Kenya, I would call your mother a different name, I would play much different sports, and the food would be so different and delicious! This book explores the different ways children grow up in Kenya from names of everyday objects to activities, customs, holidays and daily living. 

I am absolutely, positively, madly in love with this book series. Kenya does not disappoint--I learn as much as any child would by reading these books! From geography and everyday basics to special events and activities, Roman covers all of the bases with strong vocabulary to boot. I particularly love the personal angle that she puts on these books; she allows young children the opportunity to identify with the main character in a way I haven't seen in many other children's books.

I would also like to point out the Roman puts a pronunciation guide in the back of the book to aid in the development of morphemes that children might otherwise be unaware. I also thoroughly enjoy her illustrations--they feel realistic while still being child-friendly. Her educator roots shine!

Kindle version on left, hard copy on right. Get this for the small person in your life.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Nicole!!! Watch for Turkey- coming soon!!!

    ReplyDelete