Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The Best Advice I Ever Got: Lessons from Extraordinary Lives

I picked up a copy of Katie Couric's The Best Advice I Ever Got: Lessons from Extraordinary Lives at the internship I ran from this summer, and I read it over the holidays this year.

This book of collected essays offer the best advice given to them by such luminaries as Maya Angelou and Jimmy Carter, such successes as Mario Batali and Meryl Streep, and such insightful people such as Gloria Steinem and Whoopie Goldberg. Each essay is short and sweet, giving readers the opportunity to take in advice that others who have been so successful have been given and have taken to heart.

Honestly, I picked this up as a fluff read to kill some time while I was home over the holidays. I ended up being knocked off my feet by the book. I found it to be incredibly moving and intelligently insightful. I found myself busting out my highlighter and dogearing pages in order to come back to the advice. I nodded in agreement to advice I have (thankfully) already heeded, and I made a mental note of the advice I still need to follow.

I left it at home for my mom to read with the strict instructions to put it right back on my night table when she finished. Ok, it's technically the guest room night table seeing as how I live several thousand miles away, but the point is that I am keeping this book around. I was so pleasantly surprised with the heart and the thought that was put into each essay. I will come back to this book time and again when I need a reminder that I can get there--just take my time and push on forward.

Kindle version on the left, hard copy on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment