Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Sunday, February 9, 2014

The 500: A Novel

I have been wanting to pick up this book for a while, and I finally got a chance to this past week. Oh. Em. Gee. The 500 by Matthew Quirk.

What if you were offered the job of your dreams--it only required you to compromise a tiny little bit on your morals? Just the slightest, really--just a weensy--OK, maybe a small sizable chunk? Mike is the son of a con artist who fell into it himself as a teen until he was scared strait, made his way through college, and found himself in law school. A visiting professor sees Mike's potential and invites him to come work for his firm in Washington with a sizable salary and all the perks. The catch? He has to do everything they ask, and it's not all pretty--or on the level. It's right up Mike's alley until things start to go terribly, horribly, irrevocably awry.

I just love a good thriller that will grab me by the arms, pin me still, and make me finish it. The crazier the better – and this one for fulfilled all my requirements. The pace of this book was quick and smart, and putting it down meant hitting pause on a super good action piece that was too insane to believe, yet too right-on-the-money to walk away from. I loved the pure insanity of it, and found that at times it seemed completely unrealistic yet, when you sit down and think about it, completely plausible at the same time. It would not surprise me in the least if there exist this kind organization in Washington. Right?

The corruption of individuals is nothing new in our world; it's been around since the dawn of time. But when it's put into something this awesome of a read, it makes it all the more real and wild and plausible and completely understandable. It makes the hairs on your arm stand up because you want to believe no on earth is this cowardly, wicked, willing, manipulative, dishonest, powerful, or swayed--depending on which side you stand. You want to believe no one can be this horrible, only they are, aren't they? And it makes for a great read.

Kindle version on left, hard copy on right.

No comments:

Post a Comment