Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Friday, April 4, 2014

I Don't Know What You Know Me From: Confessions of a Co-star

I am one of those people who happens to recognize character actors, and I have been a long-time fan of Judy Greer. I swiped her memoir, I Don't Know What You Know Me From: Confessions of a Co-star as fast as I was able to click "request."

You run into her on the street in Los Angeles. You know her! You have seen her in a movie! What movie did you see her in? She is that actress, the one you have seen one million times in all sorts of movies but you can't quite place her--she is the best friend, the sidekick, the co-star. She also happens to be a genius performer. This book of essays covers everything from her ridiculously normal childhood, to her being "discovered" in college, to her days of living in the sketchiest parts of LA, to her eventual trip to the Oscars. The whole ride you will laugh along with her, as she takes her life as seriously you should, but don't.

There were many times I found myself snorting (snort-laughing, if you will) on the subway train or the back of the bus on the way to campus. {If you heard it, sorry about that...no, wait--I'm not. It was worth it.} As I said in the intro to this post, I love catching Judy in everything that she does. She is incredibly morphable (yes, that is a made-up word) and she is just delightful to watch. She can in turn be vulnerable, sassy, and honest. This book is exactly as I imagine she is in real life. That is, if I didn't already feel as though we are besties.

My most favorite part of this book is when she discussed meeting her husband and falling in love with him, and then getting to know his children, her now step children. I love how honest she is in these chapters while still being true to her everyday attitude of humor. If in no other part of this book, she comes across as so truly un-celebrity, especially in light of a certain celebrity's recent comments on how easy it is to be anything other than a movie star. Judy makes it clear how much she loves what she does and how much she doesn't take it for granted, and it makes her all the more down-to-earth and lovely.

The chapter where she attends the Oscars is hilarious. Like, snorting funny. I don't want to tell you too much because there is a little spin at the end that will make it all the funnier, but it is worth the read. I agree, Judy--Spanx are a miserable yet necessary evil. Besties forever?

Kindle version on left, hard copy on right.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I love your sassy reviews! I was wondering if you would be able to review my book Where Fault Lies, if I provided you with an ARC? Here is the summary and the link to it on Goodreads:
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21845487-where-fault-lies?from_search=true

    When divorced single-mom Carrie Lucas moved to Seattle she knew it was time to start living life on her own terms, and stop playing by the rules of everyone else. While exploring her new city she falls for Sayid, a charismatic lawyer who has life figured out. But one traumatic night, Carrie discovers evil doesn’t come in the package she expected. Afterwards, she struggles to make sense of what’s real and understand ultimately who is at fault for the tragedy that unraveled her life.

    In a gripping and powerful narrative, Carrie tells the true story of how falling for the wrong person can cause so much more than heartbreak. Where Fault Lies is a chilling exploration of memory through trauma, trust in humanity, and a captivating story of strength and survival that appeals to the heart of fathers and mothers, sons and daughters, and men and women alike.

    email me if you are interested, and let me know how to get you a copy! me@carriemaylucas.com

    ReplyDelete