Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

You Should Have Known: A Novel

This book has been a hot ticket for a while and I was so thankful when I scored it from the library. I was looking for a book to not put down. This is Jean Hanff Korelitz's You Should Have Known.

Grace is a successful couples therapist who is about to publish her first book, You Should Have Known. She lives a wonderful life with her doctor husband and talented young son until the day her husband disappears and a woman whose son goes to school with her own is found brutally murdered. As the pieces of the puzzle come together, Grace must face the truth of her situation. As she rebuilds her life from the ground up, she must ask herself honestly--truthfully--if she should have known.

I am not lying when I tell you that I could NOT put down this book. I was up until 2am racing through the pages because I just simply could not believe that this was happening to her. The web of lies that Grace finds herself tangled in is thick and difficult to escape--and it turns out none of them are her own. It was incredible watching this story unfold and become a tale that does not seem as farfetched as you might initially believe.

Grace is such a relate-able character in that she is down to earth regardless of her success. She is a woman who cares deeply about everyone in her life from her immediate family to her clients that she counsels. She is a selfless woman who must find a way to be selfish in order to save herself and her child. She was the driving force in this story, the one that made everything so much more horrific. The book is a fantastic read all around, and I am so happy I finally got my grubby little paws on it. Seriously--I could not put this book down. If a book keeps me up all night I am happy to stick a pin in it.

I often wonder if we never really know the people in our lives, regardless of how we close we think we are. Yet deep down we suspect the truth--we only just want things to be great and easy. If this story doesn't find you questioning those in your life then you weren't reading closely enough. Pick it up. Now. GO!

Kindle version on left, hard copy on right.

No comments:

Post a Comment