Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Monday, June 2, 2014

Book Expo America 2014

Hi kids! So... Last week was Book Expo America, otherwise fondly known as Bookapalooza. It is something I now look forward to every year while dreading the aches and pains and exhaustion that comes with it. That being said, it is truly an amazing thing that I get to do--three days of books. Highlights are below!

Wednesday brought me to the Blogger's Conference where I met some super cool book bloggers and heard from the YA author Maureen Johnson. She was hilarious and smart and fun in general. I learned a ridiculous amount at this conference, and you should look out for a new Sassy Peach logo coming your way this summer. [Finger's crossed, anyway.]










Then the floor opened at 9 AM on Thursday. Holy cow, this was something else. If you recall, I only went on Saturday last year due to the horrible internship I took on for the summer. [Seriously, I am over 30--what was I thinking taking on an "internship"???] This year was madness of the best kind. My journey started off with a signing from Neil Patrick Harris on an excerpt from his upcoming memoir. Yes, you read that right. See above. Creeper shot.


I made out with so many books I had been looking forward to. The 11 AM and 2 PM hours were crazy--at one point on Thursday I had five books I wanted in the span of an hour; I got four of them. I missed the last signing by a few minutes, but I was at least able to tell Jesmyn Ward how much her book, Men We Reaped, moved me. One of the books I did get was Anjelica Huston's A Story Lately Told, and she was so gracious and kind to everyone in line. I was so impressed and I like her even more than I did before her autograph.





This year was the year of my idols. I met R. L. Stine (-->) and got the first Fear Street book in over a decade. Remember the series? My love of crime may have come out of his books as well as Mary Higgins Clark's books. I also met her by the way. Yeah. Like I said. Crazy town. Anyway, I told Mr. R. L. Stine that he was a staple of my childhood, and he replied, "A staple? I have never been told I was a staple before." He totally was. The cheerleader series had such a big effect on me that I won't shower in a locker room. I have an irrational fear of being locked in by a sinister force that will then turn up the heat on the water and melt my skin off. Like it goes.

I scored what was arguably one of the buzziest books this season at BEA, Terry Hayes' I Am Pilgrim. It's not signed as it was in that darned 11 AM block, but as I was getting my Colm Toibin book signed (CAN YOU SEE WHY I AM SO GIDDY?!?), they had just a handful left at the booth and I got my grubby little mitts on it. I am not saying I am whipping through it, but I am whipping through it. I am seriously in heaven with my books. Final count below.









Here I am rocking my "I Love NYPL" button. I am a proud library user and supporter, and I urge you to be as well. The New York Public Library has kept me reading even when I have been brokey mcbrokester, and their programming is exceptional. Support your own local library--every dollar helps.



Ok, so now let's talk about one of my favorite books of all time, This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper. I read it a few years before this bad boy blog started and have raved about it since. In fact, it's the first book I recommend when someone asks what I have to offer in the way of recommendations. It has always gone over well (I am four for four!), and I have re-read it. And I don't re-read books. So that should tell you something. When BEA announced that they were going to open BookCon (the open-to-the-public Saturday extravaganza at BEA) with a panel and sneak peek of the upcoming September film, I jumped on the ticket. There was the added bonus of Tina Fey and Jason Bateman being on the panel. Don't get me wrong, I love both of

them, but I was most excited about the book being transformed into a film.The panel is above and a shot of the screen of the stars is to the right. I would have loved a better shot but the panel was super packed and I only had my phone. So there you go. It was really interesting and the clips I saw were great. I have a feeling I am going to love the movie as much as the book. I also managed to get a copy of the book signed by Jonathan Tropper, so I am happy as a clam. This is really heaven for me.


Ah yes, another childhood idol. That, my friends, is Ann M. Martin of The Babysitter's Club fame. These books were also such a staple of my childhood that I can't imagine the reader I would be without them. She was so gracious and kind, which only makes me want to go dig out my books and read them again all the more. 










Let me ask you this--why wouldn't you want to participate in the make-your-own-romance-cover-photo?






Then this happened. Which is just amazing.(I have a sick sense of humor. Always have.)






Ta da! Final haul: 62 books, 5 excerpts, and a bajillion bags. Which I need for moving at the end of the month. Isn't this picture beautiful? That's what 62 books looks like.



 





4 comments:

  1. Reading your blog is like reliving a dream. What a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was such a blast. I woke up Sunday morning feeling very weird that I wasn't supposed to go back.

      Delete
  2. Nicole how can I get the picture i took of you with Mary Higgens Clark to you. Are you on Facebook?
    I am under Nancy Mills Chalk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just requested your on FB. I am sorry it has taken me a couple of weeks to get back to you--I was out of the country and then had to move this past week. I am so excited to see the picture!!!

      Delete