Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Until You're Mine: A Novel

Thriller. Mind-blowing. Didn't see that coming. Hashtags for these, maybe? This is Samantha Hayes's Until You're Mine.

After years of failing, Claudia has almost brought her baby to term. It has been a long road, but it is finally almost time. Her husband, a Navy man, insists she hire a nanny to help with her two young stepchildren and the upcoming bundle of joy. Enter Zoe, a seemingly perfect nanny--almost too perfect. Claudia, a social worker, becomes suspicious that Zoe is not all she is cracked up to be. As pregnant women in the area are discovered murdered in a very specific fashion, Claudia wonders who Zoe really is and what she is doing in her house.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that this book threw me for a loop; I wasn't expecting that much of a smack in the head. It's fair to say that I was not expecting the ending that I got, which was a wonderful way to knock me off of my feet.

I found the storytelling to be compelling and enough to keep me in the book the whole time. Intriguing and beguiling, I found myself wanting to go back to the story in my downtime. Hayes tells the story from three different perspectives--Claudia's, Zoe's, and a third-person perspective of the police officers. I loved that Hayes included personal strife with the police officers to make them a bit more human and less official caricatures. I appreciated her ability to tell the story from multiple perspectives, leaving me with a firm belief as to who the unreliable narrator was. It was clear by voice who was speaking when.

This novel gripped me and I was thankful I picked it up. You all know I love a good thriller and I certainly found it in this one. It is well worth a read if you want something you don't want to put down for your lazy summer days but you still want to be spooked enough.

Hard copy for purchase below.

No comments:

Post a Comment