Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Monday, July 7, 2014

Cop Town: A Novel

Cop Town by Karin Slaughter caught my eye this weekend for a good travel read. Murder! Mayhem! Suspense! In Atlanta no less! I will take it.

1974 in Atlanta - it was a different time, a different place. Only recently did the Atlanta Police Department allow African American officers, and women are an unwelcome sight. An executioner is knocking off police officers and no one knows why. When Jimmy's partner is shot and he gets away, a manhunt ensues that encompasses the entire department. His sister Maggie and her new partner Kate set off on their own investigation since no one trusts them on the official one. Will their guts get them killed? Or will it pay off in the end?

I thoroughly enjoyed this thriller; it kept me engaged and completely curious throughout the story. It was an interesting premise, and there isn't a whole lot I can say about the actual story without revealing a few literary twists and turns, so I will do my best here.

First of all, I loved that this story was set in Atlanta before my time. I adored reading the street names and knowing exactly where they were and what they look like present day, leading to me to use my imagination as to what someplace like Cheshire Bridge Road would look like 40 years ago. The segregation of the city was even more pronounced than it is now (and, frankly, it's pretty pronounced), and I felt that Slaughter really captured that and the heightened racial tensions of the city in this novel.

I loved the female characters in this novel; Slaughter gave them a three-dimensional appeal that allowed them to be full-bodied humans while still dealing with issues of sexism and a personal life. I appreciated that they weren't caricatures of single-sided; they genuinely had feelings about their work and their actions, and they had choices to make in both their personal and professional lives. I really appreciated it, and felt that made it worth the read.

Hard copy for purchase below.

No comments:

Post a Comment