Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

People I Want to Punch in the Throat: Competitive Crafters, Drop-Off Despots, and Other Suburban Scourge

I needed a good laugh this week. Life has been crazy and I just needed snarky humor. So Jen Mann's People I Want to Punch in the Throat: Competitive Crafters, Drop-Off Despots, and Other Suburban Scourges hit the spot.

Suburbia is weird. It really is. Moms are obsessed with filling their kids schedules, every child has some sort of food allergy, and no one seems to get Jen and Ebenezer. Humor blogger Jen Mann pulls together some of her best suburban anecdotes to explore why on earth any sane person would want to live there. Starting with meeting her husband through the birth of their children and getting them through school, Jen finds the humor in all situations while staying true to her amazing, snarky self. 

So you can clearly tell by the blurb that I loved this book. Jen and I would best friends if only I lived in Kansas. Which I don't. Although it's not out of the question come job-search time. I completely understood why New York City was a no-go for her, and when her husband tells her he would never move back because, um, square footage, I almost cried real tears of jealousy. Because I want square footage, so bad. I kind of have it in my new beautiful pre-war rental, but, well, roommates. So I almost wanted to marry Ebenezer myself and move to the Midwest. As it goes with literature, you know?

I also find it particularly hard to choose a favorite story. I loved how honest Jen was about meeting her husband in a chat room, and I loved the story about the sociopath classmate of her son. I think, though, that my favorite would have to be the day care color group enforcer. Jen goes to join a play group for her young son, pre-preschool days, and when she shows up she discovers she can't be in the Red Group that meets on Wednesdays because it's closed. No new people. And definitely no people like Jen. She can join the Orange group, but they meet on Fridays, which is no good with Jen's schedule. It becomes an epic throw-down. I bet you can't guess who wins.

No matter what the subject matter, it was Jen's hilarious take-no-prisoners snark that made it all worthwhile reading. She doesn't take herself seriously and frankly, I try to do the same. Life is full of humor if you just take a moment to find it. I am glad Jen did, and I'm glad she decided to write it all down. For my enjoyment. As it should be.

Hard copy for purchase below.

No comments:

Post a Comment