Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Bellweather Rhapsody: A Novel

I can't quite remember who recommended Kate Racculia's Bellweather Rhapsody to me, but I sure am glad whomever it is did. 

It's all-state time for the talented music students in the northeast. Everyone gathers at the Bellweather, an old estate hotel off the beaten path. It was once glorious and is now what we would call "shabby chic." The weekend is off to a rough start and only gets rougher when one prodigy goes missing, another is dead-set on finding her, and a witness to a murder/suicide in the hotel fifteen years prior somehow ends up tangled in the mix. It only gets better when a snowstorm traps everyone.

This book was positively lovely and I had such a deep and fun time with it. I absolutely loved the prologue, as it grabbed me immediately and made me buy in and hang around. I love an intriguing murder/suicide to kick off a book. It's true.

I particularly thought that the characters made this book what it was. Remember being a band geek? I do. I played French horn like a rock star...you know, if rock stars had French horns in their bands. Whatevs. It was so much fun to read about those yearly band geek get-togethers where everyone is the best in their school, then comes together to battle it out. Only this story was so much more. Rabbit and Alice, twins who are both selected for the honor of attending, couldn't be more different. Rabbit is shy and studious and ready to come out of the closet, while his sister is loud and dramatic and going to be a star. Alice befriends Jill, a flute prodigy, who ends up disappearing from the very same room the murder/suicide occurred in fifteen years earlier. Then the young girl who witnessed that tragedy shows up as a super messed up adult and teams up with Alice to find the truth of Jill's possible suicide/murder/kidnapping/disappearance. Sound crazy? It's way more fun than crazy.

All in all, I found the story to be twisty without being twisted, and the characters to be eccentric while still being honest. I wanted to punch Violet Fabian in the face for being so obnoxious to everyone she comes across, including her own daughter Jill, and I wanted to watch Natalie and Fisher drive off into the sunset. No idea what I'm talking about? Then go get the book, silly.

Hard copy for purchase below.

No comments:

Post a Comment