Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Captain No Beard: An Imaginary Tale of a Pirate's Life

Well, today I thought I would focus on the original. I had not read the first book in the Captain No Beard series, so I picked it up for Children's Book Week. This is Carole P. Roman's Captain No Beard: An Imaginary Tale of a Pirate's Life.

Captain No Beard is off! He sets sail on his brand new ship with his first mate Hallie and the other ruffians he surrounds himself with. Soon on their journey they find themselves in the middle of a storm, and thankfully they all make it through--before finding themselves a mermaid! But can they find the treasure they seek?

I am so glad I went back to the original. I found out why Captain No Beard named his ship The Flying Dragon (it sounded scary), that he doesn't really know what he's doing (what does "shiver me timbers" mean?), and that being a captain is hard work. They are a motley crew for sure, but they are a cute one. They dream big, and they win big, and I think it is a lovely and fun story for the kids in my life. The ending is particularly surprising, a bit unexpected while still being right on point, and I loved it

For purchase below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment