Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Captain No Beard Stories: The Treasure of Snake Island and Pepper Parrot's Problem with Patience

We continue on with children's book week with more Carole P. Roman. I'm a fan, and I intend to make you one, too. Along with her If You Were Me and Live In... series, she also has a series featuring Captain No Beard. He's a young lad who happens to be captain of his own band of ruffians made up of a monkey, a lion, a parrot,  a girl, and a frog among others. Their boat is called The Flying Dragon, and they always get into a spot of trouble like all small humans. These books are positively delightful, and worth getting for your own small human.

The Treasure of Snake Island finds the crew in the midst of an awful storm. When they reach land and find the treasure chest they are searching for, they find it is full of the best treasure they could ever ask for.

Pepper Parrot's Problem with Patience is an exploration of (you guessed it!) patience. Pepper is new to The Flying Dragon crew and gets very frustrated very easily. Unfortunately, this manifests itself in temper tantrums. Hallie, Captain No Beard's first mate, has to explain to Pepper that there are better ways to handle the situation. Everyone learns to have just a little more patience.

I am just going to list all of the things I love about these books. The illustrations. The length. The moral of the story. Using pirates to explain these moral lessons and having the crew be made up of fun animals who talk and are anthropomorphic in their own right. The bright colors and the clearly printed words. I love these books for the small humans in my life, and I am actually going to give these two to a specific one I have in mind. 

For purchase below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment