Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

If You Were Me and Lived in...Norway, Russia, and South Korea

It's back to my absolute favorites by Carole P. Roman! 

Today we start with Norway, which I think just has the absolute cutest Norwegians on the cover, don't you? I mean, look at the boots with the fur on that little girl. I LOVE BOOTS ON CHILDREN. 

So, prior to reading this book I had no idea that the coolest place on earth is in Norway, called the Kirkenes Snowhotel. It's completly made out of snow and ice, and you can see the norther lights from there. I want to go right now. 

I would also like to point out that Norway really likes parades, and I really like parades, so clearly this is the place for me. 

I must admit that I don't know a whole lot about South Korea, so it was super cool to get my hands on this book and learn more. 

Well, that's only partially true. I love Korean barbeque, which was discussed in this book. In fact, I just had bulgogi with kimchi last weekend and it was to die for. I was in stitches seeing it referenced here in Roman's book. I was surprised to see how similar our restaurants here in New York City are to what I saw in Roman's illustration. How delightful!

Finally, we end with Russia. LOOK AT THE FUR HAT ON THE KIDS! As much as I don't adore freezing hold weather, I do appreciate a good hat. Now, that's not enough to get me to move to Russia because it's monster cold there, but it sure is cute on the kiddos. 

Believe it or not, the other day I was debating with someone whether or not Russia was considered Asia or Europe. Believe it or not, this book settled it. Russia is in Northern Eurasia. Not confusing at all, Russia

One thing I would like to do one day is visit the Red Square. A good, long page of Roman's book is dedicated to it, and it looks positively lovely and someplace I would like to see one day. 

I just love these books, which you have seen before. (Here, here, and here.) I am also loving watching these books evolve and visit more and more countries. A dear friend of mine has requested Saudi Arabia where she currently lives and teaches. Any other suggestions, folks?

No comments:

Post a Comment