Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Friday, January 9, 2015

Stephen King Friday: Cell

Happy first Stephen King Friday! My goal for 2015 is to read two SK books per month to get through his whole oeuvre and bring it to you, dear readers. I love him, and I am sure you do as well. First up is 2006's Cell.

Where were you on October 1 at 3:03pm? Were you on your cell phone? If so, you probably aren't reading this, as you have turned into one of them. Phone people. You might be dead, having been viciously torn to shreds by another one of them in the first hours. You might be one of the surviving members who is flocking with the rest. Or, even more important, you might be a "normie" trying to find your loved ones to see if they are still coherent. They may be on their way to the safe point. Walk there, sleep at night, and whatever you do--don't pick up a cell phone.

I am usually not into the whole zombie number, but I will always pick up a King zombie book. I was intrigued by the premise and I was hooked from the beginning. I won't say I raced through this one, but I was certainly interested enough to read the whole thing in a day. I was dying to find out what happened.

The story itself is fascinating and, quite unfortunately for me and you, somewhat realistic in the way that it may not have already happened, but it most certainly could. You may have just been carrying on a regular phone conversation, but when the signal came through to reprogram your brain you reverted to the most base of instincts--kill or be killed. Clay, the protagonist who does not have a cell phone, becomes the most hated of the Phone People when he and his band of survivors decide to wipe out a flock. This may have been the most creepy part of it all--that the Phone People had telekinesis and could read your thoughts.

I shiver just thinking about it right now.

I really love that King picks topics that freak us out the most. He has a knack for picking things around which we are most comfortable and creating in us a fear of basic living. It is probably my most favorite part of his writing. No subject is sacred. I often wondered in reading this book how it would be done today, in 2015. Would terrorists rely on text? How would they get us to buy into this? It's fascinating and caught me in a whirlwind of thought.

Kindle version on left, hard copy on right.

No comments:

Post a Comment