Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Magician's Lie: A Novel

I can't remember what drew me to this novel, but I'm glad for whatever the pull was. This is The Magician's Lie by Greer Macallister. 

The Amazing Arden is one of the world's greatest illusionists. One night after her incredible sawing a man in half trick, her husband is found cut to pieces. Could the man in the box on the stage have not been an illusion? What would lead Arden, or anyone else, to murder a man in this way? When Arden is caught by a police man who wants to make a name for himself, the all-night interrogation leads to a story that is so strange it must be believed. 

This book pleasantly surprised me. I was a little touch and go at the beginning, but after a solid 20 pages I was pretty well sold. The title leads you to believe that something is not entirely accurate with Arden's story--a lie, perhaps? That's both yes and no. The story that Arden tells is so wild and off it's axis that a piece of you believes her and another thinks the whole story is a lie. Again, truth is stranger than fiction.

This is one of those books that had such a wonderful plot that was driven by characters rather than the other way around. This is a really interesting phenomenon I'm noticing lately in the way of how books are structured. It was recently have at the Station Eleven discussion that we had in a book club about it with the author, which I will post it later point in time, but I've been starting to wonder about this relationship between characters and plot. Does one drive the other? In this case, I would easily say that the characters made the plot so outstandingly lovely. It's what kept me coming back. The story that Arden tells about how she ended up in an interrogation room under suspicion in her husband's murder.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, as it is a bit of an unexpected gem. I think it is a great winter book to curl up with underneath a blanket with some hot chocolate. Or wine. I really like wine.

For purchase below.

No comments:

Post a Comment