Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Monday, April 13, 2015

I've Got You Under My Skin: A Novel

My apologies, friends. I have gotten way off the rails in my posts. I have been travelling a good deal, mostly for fun, some for school, and I am exhausted. Just getting to a computer to schedule posts has been hard. I promise, though, that the worst is over. Well, not really. I have a draft of my pilot dissertation due a week from tomorrow and no time really to write it. I will not, however, forget about you, dear readers. Let's start with one of my childhood heroes. 

You all know MHC is my book candy. Soooooo... at Book Expo last year I finagled a ticket to an autographed signing of her latest (since not her latest anymore, but whatevs), I've Got You Under My Skin. You can see the picture my new friend Nancy shot for me in line. I met Nancy in line, and I'm so glad I did! We have kept in touch and she is a fantastic person. Thanks, Nancy!

Back to the book.

Laurie Moran is a hotshot reality TV producer with a handsome physician husband and lovely young child. Her perfect life is ripped apart when, one afternoon, her husband is shot point blank while having taken his son to the park up the street. "Blue Eyes," as the young boy calls him, announces that Laurie will be next, and her son after that. Years later, Laurie is working on a new reality show that examines real-life murders by interviewing the cast of characters involved. The more she gets into the pilot, however, the more uneasy she becomes that this will all connect back to that horrible threat years before.

Oh, how I love MHC and the formulaic stories. There is something so easy about reading the books, in a way that makes me love picking up her latest release. I can jump in and know exactly what I'm getting, and sometimes I really like that confidence. I get the same from reading Ann Rule. 

So needless to say, I enjoyed this book. I was able to curl up on the couch with my cat and some tea and just dive in. I really enjoyed the reality show pretense, and of course I love any and all crime, so the initial crime and the crime behind the reality show Laurie is producing were both really interesting. One thing I wish is (spoiler alert!!!) the killer had more of a connection to his victims. It felt a little cast-off at the end and a bit too expected. But, on a more positive note, this book had its romance and its intrigue and its plot and it was delightful.


It was such a giddy moment to meet MHC, as she is (along with R.L. Stine and Ann M. Martin) a staple of my childhood. Her books were what drew me to my love of crime, and I am forever grateful for her work.

For purchase below.

No comments:

Post a Comment