Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Thursday, May 28, 2015

If You Were Me and Live In... Peru and Portugal

Have I mentioned that my goal is to collect the whole series of Carole P. Roman's If You Were Me and Live In...? I don't even have kids. I just want them for myself.

We start with Peru today. Another place I would love to go. Lima looks gorgeous, and the illustration in this book does it justice. The lush green and blue water is well done in these pages. One third of Peru's population lives in Lima! AND MACHU PICCHU. I would love to see this in person. What Roman does with the holiest of ancient sites is she inserts a picture of them rather than draw them and not do it justice, which I think is just brilliant of her. Why do it poorly when you could do it right? Brava, Carole. Also, thank you. Now I want to go there more.

I didn't know that potatoes were a big crop in Peru. How fun! School is called colegio. Carnival looks ridiculously fun and I would do anything to be able to go and throw water balloons at everyone I come across. And the kings of Peru used to eat friend guinea pig--a delicacy! How fun this book was.


Portugal is on my dream trip list. I am not sure why, but I can tell you now that I have read this book!

Portugal was named for its largest city, Porto. Who knew? (You may have. I didn't.) I had no idea that the symbol of the country is a Rooster of Barcelos, which is a small, colorful rooster. And guess what -- THEY ALSO HAVE THEIR OWN CARNEVALE! Can I go now, pretty please?

I have to say, this book was one of the ones that I would say I knew the least about a country. This is one of the reasons I love Carole's books so much -- I often only know so much and these books are so simple and easy to read that I feel like I know so much more after I read them.

For purchase below.

No comments:

Post a Comment