Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Friday, June 26, 2015

The King of Torts: A Novel

This summer at the beach, I went through my usual slew of John Grisham's novels, including The King of Torts. As it goes.

Clay is barely eking out a living at the public defender's office in D.C. One normal afternoon he finds himself having to take on another case simply by his being present in court--only this one is interesting. A young man murdered a boy he knew for no reason other than "just because." Clay is approached by a drug company who is responsible for the murder, and suddenly Clay finds himself with his own law firm, flush with cash, and newly crowned the King of Torts. The only problem with this is that the bigger you are, the harder you fall. Watch out, Clay.

For me, a family vacation to Watercolor, Florida is not complete unless I read at a minimum one John Grisham book. I picked this one up at a book sale somewhere and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I love when Grisham is at his best--weaving a good tale, creating a main character I love to hate but still want the best for, and throwing in some twists and turns for zest. This novel was all of the above.

Clay was a character that I wanted to root for and I did, even when he was making the world's dumbest decisions. And trust me, they were really dumb decisions. But they were his to make, and his to live with. (I know Clay is a fictional character, but come on--this is my blog and I choose to see them as living beings because I can, darn it.) He was throwing money away, left and right, and I wanted to scream at him to SAVE IT. But hey, I am a PhD student who wants to buy a house, so take that with a grain of salt. The story kept me turning the pages while relaxing in the pool, and when I had to put it down, I found myself coming back every time. Because Grisham gets me every time

So there you have it. Classic Grisham, classic story, the usual suspects. I loved it.

Hard copy for purchase below.

No comments:

Post a Comment