Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Monday, June 1, 2015

You Belong to Me and Other True Cases: Ann Rule's Crime Files Vol. 2

I wanted to review these crime files in order, but I haven't found Vol. 1 yet. So here we start with Ann Rule's Crime Files: Vol. 2 - You Belong to Me

The title story is about a Florida Highway Patrol officer, his obsessive relationship with his wife, and the woman who suffered in the end. Tim Harris met Sandy when she was still in high school--and he was a police officer. Sandy fought tooth and nail to win him from another woman, but when she did she discovered that when you get what you want, you don't always win. She chooses to leave him after he admits a four-year affair, and he becomes obsessive about winning her love back--even threatening her life in her own home. When Sandy finally takes action, another woman, one neither of them knows, will face the consequences of Tim's wrath and two families will never be the same.

Ah, my beloved Ann Rule. I do have to say, so far out of her case mystery collections, this is one to stay with me the most. The story "Black Christmas," about a mistaken identity and the loss of a family, stayed with me for many days after reading it. Several of the other shorter stories are also worth reading, but it was the title story that was a mind bender. I'm not going to lie--I hesitate to even date after reading her books that's how convincing they are. I mean, the likelihood of me falling for a sociopath is probably pretty high. After all, I have a feeling most of the guys I have dated probably fit into this category (mmm...borderline at the very least).

Look, I read enough true crime I know that nothing should surprise me. But it never fails to blow my mind how absolutely obsessive and insane some people could be. I don't like to read too much ahead, because I don't want to know if the perpetrator knows the victim or not. I have to say that I was surprised in this instance, as I was expecting more of a connection between killer and victim. I won't say much more than that, although you could certainly do a quick Google search and find out exactly what I'm talking about. It was most definitely an interesting read, and I'm glad I picked it up on my most recent day off.

For purchase below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment