Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Friday, October 23, 2015

In the Still of the Night: The Strange Death of Ronda Reynolds and Her Mother's Unceasing Quest for the Truth

You know me and my Ann Rule. This is is In the Still of the Night: The Strange Death of Ronda Reynolds and Her Mother's Unceasing Quest for the Truth.

Ronda's most important dream in life was to become a police officer. As one of very few women on the force in the 1980's, she became a force to be reckoned with. Her personal life, though, was another story. Already divorced, she found love with the man who was supposed to be counseling her first marriage through their new found religion. The only problem was that they didn't really get along -- and when he went back to his first wife, Ronda just wanted to move on with her life. Then one Christmas she doesn't make it on her flight home to her family, and what has happened to her will defy investigators' best efforts to come to the truth. Who was in the Reynold's house that night -- and who shot Ronda?

First of all, I have to say that I was very saddened to hear about Ann Rule's recent death. I enjoy her books very much, and I know she was a beloved writer for many. Her unending need for justice was what drove her, and I am grateful for what she was able to accomplish in her illustrious life.

As usual, I enjoyed this book to its core. This is one of Rule's full-scale stories (as opposed to one her true crime collections). I read it back in the summer when I was on the beach in Ibiza, and it was an absolutely delightful tale of murder and mayhem (as my mother so fondly calls it). I remembered hearing about the Ronda Reynolds case, because we are, after all, talking about a true crime junkie all up in this joint. It was incredibly fascinating to read the details and let me tell you -- there are details. That is probably what I love the most about Rule; she digs deep and doesn't stop until she has an answer. It's what makes her true crime books some of the best. 

Everyone loves a good "mother's search for justice" story, and this book is certainly no exception. The evidence never once pointed to Ronda committing suicide. (I'm no expert, but I am a junkie, remember?) I can't even imagine what it would be like to lose a child, and watching Ronda's mom never stop until the very end was moving. We all know what happens, and the end of the story isn't a surprise, but there is a smidgen of hope that every story of domestic violence will bring more and more awareness to the issue and hopefully save some life somewhere. 

For purchase below.

No comments:

Post a Comment