Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Monday, December 28, 2015

Winter Stroll: A Novel

Elin Hilderbrand is a fun person. You are probably wondering how I know this. It's simple -- she served beer during her book signing at BEA this year. So, by process of alcohol elimination, she's a super fun person. I've never read any of her books before, but this one looked short and sweet and I figured it would make a great holiday read. It did. This is Winter Stroll.

It's been a hell of a year for the Quinns of Nantucket. The youngest, Bart, has gone MIA in Afghanistan; the oldest, Patrick, is in jail for insider trading; and Mitzi, Bart's mother, has left her husband for their annual Santa Claus. It's not all bad though: Ava, the daughter, is in love; Kevin, the middle son, has a fiance and a baby; and Margaret, the mother of the oldest three, is a successful newscaster. They all gather at the family inn on the island to celebrate the baptism of Kevin's daughter on the weekend of the annual festival, the Winter Stroll. Needless to say, there will be misunderstandings, bad choices, and secrets revealed. However, if they can all make it out alive, they will be a stronger family than ever before.

This book was everything I wanted it to be. I took it home for the holidays last week and I just jumped into it headfirst and spent some quality time with the Quinns. They were fun, they were crazy, and they reminded me of own family at the base of who we all are. The Quinns all love each other even if the kids drive them nuts with their video game playing or the brothers are far away. This was one of the few times I have read a book told from multiple perspectives and really liked it, because I felt that was the best way to tell this story. Hilderbrand weaves a fun and interesting narrative, and I found that despite being able to finish this book in a day, I wanted to drag it out just a little because I really enjoyed the characters and their mishaps.

The story was tightly told and to the point, and I'm really glad I saved this book to read while I was home for the holidays. It was the perfect read, and I'm so thankful to have something to take my mind off my own research for a bit. Not that Elin will ever read this, but I would like to thank her anyway for a couple of hours of my suspension of disbelief. It was much appreciated. 

For purchase below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment