Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

The Water Dragons: Too Heavy to Fly

Dragons are interesting, no? I've never had the biggest fascination, but I love children's books, and I was attracted to this book by the lovely cover and the hope of a sweet story with a strong message. This is Ruth Ellen Parlour's The Water Dragons: Too Heavy to Fly.

Silver and Pearl are dragon siblings, and one day while they are out playing, they spot a bird in the sky. Not knowing what it is or how it works, Silver decides that he also wants to fly. Pearl sets him up with wings on his front legs and he climbs a tree to set off. Only when he is up there does he realize his mistake. His mother comes to save him, and together they realize that ground animals should stay on the ground and that the flying can be left to the air animals. 

This was a lovely, short and sweet book that had a great message -- everything I was hoping for when I picked it up. I loved the idea of the dragon siblings and the desire to go out on a limb (pun intended) and try something new. There is something to be said for the risk taking based on observations, and I appreciate that Parlour explored this in a creative and adorable way. One issue I had was with the illustrations; some appeared to be computer graphics and others appeared to be clip-arty, and I was bothered by the inconsistency. However, the story was sweet, the dragons were positively sweet and cute, and I loved the moral of the story. 

That's a win in my book!

(Get it?!? My book?!? Tee hee hee...)

No comments:

Post a Comment