Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Anna Kendrick's Scrappy Little Nobody

For Christmas my beloved gave me a stack of books (plus Kindle Unlimited!), so you know he loves me. In that stack was Anna Kendrick's Scrappy Little Nobody, and since my roommate also wanted to read it, I decided to pick it up first. 

We all know Anna Kendrick -- in fact, most men you know would give their left but to be with her. She's authentically funny, naturally pretty, and seems like a lot of fun. This memoir traces her years growing up and her early work in the entertainment industry. She has a genuine affection for her family and their sacrifices for her at such a young age to be able to perform on Broadway, and she comes across as a crazy loyal friend as well. It's easy for most people to see themselves as the outcast -- it's a more common self-perception than any of us want to realize -- so her story of feeling out of place in school resonates with a lot of people. 

Her dating life as an adult -- and the bad choices she cops to -- are also incredibly relatable. She strips down and bares her truth about that relationship she kept pushing, and I recognized myself and so many other young women in that moment. How young and naive we were in our 20's, wanting to make a square peg fit into a round hole. How we couldn't recognize that he just wasn't that into us because if we just tried harder we could make him love us. I'm glad we are all past that, Anna included. 

You get the whole shebang with this memoir. Anna tells you about her childhood, her young adulthood, and includes a section on her movie making. It's fun, but the joy of this novel is in her self-deprivation and real humor that comes with her just being herself. She never tries hard; it reads as if she just puts herself and paper and tells you to deal with it. That's my kind of funny girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment