Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

The Woman in Cabin 10: A Novel

I thought Ruth Ware's In a Dark, Dark Wood was phenomenal, and I meant to pick up her latest, The Woman in Cabin 10, much earlier than I did, but pregnancy brain is real, y'all. Yes, that's right, I'm expecting. I'm trying to get as much reading in as possible before the baby is due, and come May, I'll have some maternity books to review. But our task at hand today is this outstanding piece of Ware's work. 

Lo is just a simple woman living her life, working her way up the career ladder as a writer at a travel magazine and loving her main squeeze. One night, though, she wakes up to an intruder in her home. The only injury she sustains are the bruises and cuts from him pushing her back into her room and slamming the door -- and the emotional devastation PTSD wreaks on a person. No matter -- Lo must board an exclusive yacht for a inauguration voyage to see the Great Northern Lights. On her first night she meets a woman in the cabin next door, and later that night she hears a murder coming from the same cabin. Who was the woman she met? What happened that night? Who is keeping Lo from finding out the truth about this ship and the crew on it? If she doesn't watch her step, Lo may not make it home alive, because someone will stop her at no cost. 

I was damned curious about Ware's sophomore effort, and whether or not it would hold up to her first. Well I'll be, I might even argue that it surpassed it. Maybe. I was hooked into this book with tentacles that wouldn't let go, and I actually stopped doing important things like my dissertation pilot study so that I could find out what happened. One of my biggest frustrations with Ware's books is the long explaination at the end putting all the peices together; I could have liked more of a punch when we figured it all out. That, however, is a minor complaint all in all. Ware weaves a twisting, fascinating tale of intrigue, and she knows how to capture her readers' attention. 

Ware's protagonists are also terribly interesting to me. I adore her female leads who are incredibly flawed and messy, so un-put-together that they make me look like Attila the Hun. It makes them interesting and worth spending time with. They are the opposite of weak; they fight like the dickens and are tenacious as hell.  They don't give up easily, or even at all. They are fighters, and these are my kind of heroines. Lo is exactly this. She needs to prove she isn't crazy, even when he head of security tries to use recent events against her. It puts her life in danger, but she will fight it. She was a great woman to root for in this story, and it is well worth your time to pick up this book and spend a rainy afternoon with her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment