Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

If You Were Me and Lived In...Israel

The newest addition of Carole Roman's series to my child's library is If You Were Me and Lived In...Israel.

If you lived in Jerusalem, you would live among some of the most holy sites as seen by four major faiths: Judaism, Islam, Christianity, and Baha'i. Each has monuments that are important for their worship, and while we could spend time talking about the politics of the region, for now we are focused on just speaking about the land. The Dead Sea would be a place that you would visit; it is the lowest elevation that humans can reach by vehicle and it doesn't contain living creatures because it's too salty. For food you would eat schnitzel or schwarma and for dessert you would have baklava -- all of which are some of my personal favorites.

As per usual, Roman hits the nail on the head with this new addition to her series. I find it to be an interesting addition in light of the current political situation surrounding the land, and while I understand why it lacks reference to Palestine, I do find it to be a good jumping off point for conversation about this piece of land that so many find to be important to their heritage and/or faith. It was a good introduction to Israeli culture, and that is what I choose to focus on with this particular book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment