Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth

My partner and I hired a doula for many reasons, most of which are too much for this, a book blog, and she recommended a local childbirth class for us that focused on the Bradley method. I have been very upfront on my belief that I am open to an epidural if I feel I need it, but once I got into the idea of the Bradley method, I realized this is a great way to work on laboring. My hope is to labor at home as long as possible and to go to the hospital when I reach the 3-1-1 phase in order to avoid unnecessary medication and timeouts. Of course, this isn't up to me. This kid will make his decisions and I will just have to follow them. 

For our childbirth class, the first book that we were assigned to read was Ina May Gaskin's Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. It was quite interesting, for both my partner and myself. I think he was most fascinated by the birthing stories, while I was most interested in learning how to give birth mindfully. One of the best things I took out of this book is a recognition that if I go into birth worried about how painful it will be, I will most likely only be focused on the pain as opposed to what I need to do to give birth. Let's be clear -- it's going to hurt like a m@$/&*%#er. But my focus needs to be on giving my baby life, not a worry on how much it will hurt. 

One thing we laughed about with my OB is how anti-medicine Ina May is. I'm not quite that anti-drugs. I see where she is coming from, but I also know that I have moved heaven and earth to be able to stay with the OB practice that I love and trust. I love a balance, and my doctors are all supportive of my bringing a doula and the desire to try a natural birth, but they will also be the first to say, "Ok," when I ask for pain meds. I appreciate that balance in them that I don't think Ina May has. 

I am a little suspicious of the birth orgasm for one, although I don't doubt that woman have had them. I'm just not planning on that one. I was already against an episiotomy as well as only laboring on my back per physician instructions. (My amazing OB's don't do either of these things, btw.) So Ina May and I are in the same page here. I would have loved a home birth, but my doctors don't do that. I would, however, recommend Ina May for pregnant mothers who are looking for just a little more information to add to their birth-prep arsenal. I feel much better about and more willing to explore a natural birth after reading this book, even if I didn't buy into absolutely everything she said. I definitely think it was worth a read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment