Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way

This is the second book that we were assigned to read for our childbirth class: Susan McCutcheon's Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way. As my birth has gotten closer and we feel more prepared (for an event that you can never really be prepared for anyway), I definitely feel more confident about having a natural birth than I did six months ago. This book helped in some ways and was super duper crunchy anti-medicine on the other, but I think it was a very good guide to prepping for a natural birth. 

One thing I have learned over the course of our preparation is that you don't just have a natural birth because you say you want one. It requires a great deal of preparation -- labor practice, communication with your partner about wants and needs during each stage of labor, making sure your partner is prepared to take over the check in process at the hospital, working with a doula (highly recommended) to prepare, having the proper tools at home (snacks, drinks, props, etc.). It's a great deal of work, and I think Walter and I have at least come close to nailing it. The caveat here is that birth is unpredictable, so no matter how hard you prep, other factors can easily get in the way and foul the best laid plans of mice and men. 

The super crunchy hippy parts of this book make it clear how BAD modern medicine is and that you should avoid it at all costs or you and definitely your baby will be ruined forever. Of course I don't buy into this; plenty of women in the last few decades have given birth with pain relief and everyone has turned out just fine. My desires for a natural birth are purely selfish and my own; I'm not worried about ruining my baby. 

That all being said, this book was a very important read otherwise in prep for the early and active labor stages. Now that we are due any moment, we do need to go through and re-read them, but I really felt educated after reading these chapters and we both felt very comfortable using this as a basis for our process, whatever that might look like. The pictures were very helpful to understand exactly what birth looks like, as we live in a world where we are conditioned to fear the birth process as opposed to celebrate it. Seeing other women give birth, if only in pictures, was a very useful exercise. 

This book is on our nightstand with another that I will review after my self-imposed maternity leave. I have no doubt we will reference this in the early stages of labor as we go through this at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment