Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Monday, October 5, 2015

In a Dark, Dark Wood: A Novel

I had heard rumors of this book -- that is was one hell of a thriller and well worth a read. No one was lying. This is Ruth Ware's In a Dark, Dark Wood.

Nora is shocked when she opens her email one day to find an invitation to Clare's hen do. She hasn't spoken to Clare in more than a decade, and frankly, Nora is more than happy to forget that part of her life in high school and college. She has moved on and become a successful writer, and she would prefer to not dredge up the past. Her best friend convinces her to go, and they set of for an isolated cabin deep in the wood, made of all glass -- and they are all on stage. It's awkward at first, then becomes weird, then it all goes terribly, terribly wrong, and no one's lives will be the same. If, that is, they get out alive. 

This book had me flipping pages like I was getting paid per word to read. Not a joke. I couldn't put this book down and I desperately needed to figure out what was happening. Ware jumps back and forth in time, between Nora waking up in the hospital and not knowing what happened to her and to the chronological story of the weekend in the cabin. Nora is a runner -- it's her coping mechanism -- and it's clear that this has something do to with her being in the hospital. But what are these whispers of murder she's hearing? That's what I had to find out, and fast. Hence the flipping of pages like a freakin' flip book. 

I loved the dark twisty-ness of Nora as a character. I loved that she had secrets that she didn't want to share even with the reader, and Ware did a fantastic job of weaving in her story with her friendship with Clare and her other best friend so that when we finally found out the twistedness of the relationship with Clare and how much of a horrible person Clare really is (honestly, you know she's horrible but you don't find out HOW horrible until late in the book), we actually want Nora to have killed Clare. I'm not saying Clare was even dead at the end of this book (wouldn't you like to know???), but that was my feeling. I wanted the ultimate revenge on this character who has done unspeakable deeds to people she claims to love.

I absolutely loved this thriller and I couldn't recommend it more highly. It wasn't long, but it was enough to keep me engaged and engrossed and ignoring the outside world for hours. 

For purchase below.

No comments:

Post a Comment