Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Monday, October 26, 2015

The Good Luck of Right Now: A Novel

Oh, Matthew Quick, how you steal my heart. You've done it before, and now you've just continued it with The Good Luck of Right Now. Take it all, buddy.

Bartholomew Neil is 38 and has just lost his mother. She was his rock, and his reason for living. He's never held a job and doesn't have a clue how to live on his own. He suddenly finds their priest living with him and his counselor, Wendy, telling him he needs group therapy. He agrees to go, meets a new best friend, and discovers that the love of his life from afar, the Girlbrarian, happens to be his new friend's sister. On an unexpected road trip, this motley crew finds that life is so incredibly dependent on the good luck of right now.

Quick just gets me and my humor. I loved Bartholomew with my whole heart and soul. Here is this man who is basically a child. He can't take care of himself, doesn't know how he will pay bills, and he adored his mother more than anything in the world. She told him as a child that his father was a martyr, killed defending their Catholic faith by the KKK, and Bartholomew had no reason to not believe this. When he discovers that his father is actually alive, and that his priest will take him to meet his father, I got so excited for Bartholomew. This road trip with his new friends was everything to me. It was hilarious and lovely and surprisingly deep. Cat Parliament is the final destination in Canada, which is the dream stop of his new best friend. I now want to go see cat Parliament for myself.

The chapters are all long letters to Richard Gere. Why Richard Gere, you are asking yourself right now. Because this is the man his mother was in love with. When she was dying, she often mistook Bartholomew for him, and Bartholomew played the part to keep his mother happy. After all, who embodies manliness and loveliness more so than Richard Gere? He is the ultimate hero who also happens to be sexy in reachable way. (Yes, I agree with you, Bartholomew. Good choice.) Richard Gere is an important component to the story, and I'm sure he was proud to be the recipient of Bartholomew's correspondence that was little more than a diary.

The last chapter of this book slayed me. I wasn't at all expecting it, and I actually teared up on the beach this past summer when I read it. It was shockingly moving, in a way that I completely did not expect. How on earth did Quick know to do that to me? The book was cute and funny, and then all of the sudden, when it all came together, it spoke to me in a way that moved me. It reminded me of the goodness of humanity, and that what we do for others really does matter. Thank you, Matthew Quick. Just thank you. 

For purchase below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment