Featured Post

Happy 6th Birthday, SPR!

As of my "maternity leave," here are the stats of the past year: 74 books reviewed 9 guest posts 4 independent bookstores 3 d...

Thursday, March 8, 2018

Guest Blogger Charlotte - You are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life



At the end of winter, we tend to find ourselves in a rut. Because of its eye-catching title, I immediately picked up You are a Badass. I had never been able to read self-help book all the way through, simply because they seemed too cheesy, forced, or impossible for me to keep up with. But, for some reason, I still gave You are a Badass by Jen Sincero I try, and I actually really enjoyed it!

The book is quite different from other self-help book I have read because you could truly hear the author’s voice and personality come through. Talking through different concepts relatable to all humans, she shared universal ideas from a personal perspective. I felt that the advice, tips, and topics covered were more personal than self-help books and blogs usually seem. Sincero’s sense of humor when it came to facing the facts, titles, and how she approached situations she encountered made this book easier to read because I didn’t feel she was taking herself too seriously. The way the book was written and how the chapters were named made me feel that I was talking to a friend instead of a professional coach, which I loved.

You are a Badass is organized into five sections, which I thought was useful. As the reader, you are slowly introduced to different concepts and ways of thinking. Then as you continue to on reading, the concepts build on each other to speak about overarching topics. Although this led me to sometimes feel that the book was repetitive, it also made sure that I wasn’t forgetting what the author was advising and talking about. You are obliged to improve yourself and your mindset because you are constantly being reminded of improvements to make or change of mindsets.

Within the parts, the book is also organized into different chapters with different styles of writing. Some sections are lists, others are anecdotal stories, and some are the author’s simply talking through concept. I found that this definitely kept the book interesting, as I didn’t feel like I was being lectured or that the information was going right over my head. I also found that this gave the book a personal touch because you could relate to the author as she spoke about moments and experiences of her own life. It allowed me to feel connected to the book as I didn’t feel as though the advice she was giving couldn’t relate to me.

So is You are a Badass the solution to being the best person you can be? Yes and no. I think that it is one of the better self-help books I have read, but you still have to keep up with what Sincero is saying in order for it to work. I think the information provided in the book is extremely helpful and encouraging and the way it is presented and written was beneficial for me. Although it can be repetitive at some points, it’s a nice book to get re-inspired and reset.

No comments:

Post a Comment