Featured Post

Happy 6th Birthday, SPR!

As of my "maternity leave," here are the stats of the past year: 74 books reviewed 9 guest posts 4 independent bookstores 3 d...

Thursday, May 10, 2018

Guest Blogger Charlotte: Gift from the Sea

While looking for new books to read, I found that Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh kept appearing on suggestion lists, and from its descriptions it seemed like a great way to start the spring.

As soon as I started reading this book, my expectations were completely challenged. From the descriptions I had read, I thought it would be more of a story format, but Gift from the Sea is more of an account of the author’s life. Taking place during her trips to Florida, the book follows her thoughts as she contemplates and reflects on her life and topics such as being a woman, marriage, children, and the different phases one goes through in life.

Pretty early in the book, I began to feel that although the book would be interesting to women of all ages, it was definitely more directed towards women who were older than me, probably married and with children. I sometimes felt that I couldn’t relate to the subject matter. However, I still really enjoyed reading the book as it went through different topics, values, and lessons that can be applicable to all.

I really enjoyed Lindberg’s style of writing and her ability to tie together memories with current experiences. For example, she compares the different stages of her life to seashells, allowing her to then go through the topics applicable to those shells. She discusses the need of people, especially mothers, to recharge in order to be able to live their lives to the fullest. Another point that I loved was her stating that we need to focus more on solitude. I thought this was so interesting because of our constant need to be with people or doing something with others. This is definitely something I hadn’t heard encouraged very publically, so I thought it was meaningful and it made the book feel personal to me.

I think this example is very telling of the book in general. The author speaks about and reflects on topics and conversations that are sometimes avoided in every day life. Every blog shows how we can connect more, take advantage of every opportunity, and be everything we want to be. But Gifts from the Sea gave a bit of a different perspective because it didn’t try so hard to impress. It reminded me that time alone to recharge and to focus on yourself is valuable too.

The only thing that stopped me from absolutely loving this book is that although it was really well written, the book was sometimes almost too cheesy. I had to take a break a few times to reset from the different comparisons. I mean, don’t get me wrong, it had lovely imagery and comparisons, but it could also feel long at times. I felt like some of the metaphors were a bit forced and that the book could have benefited from being a bit more raw from the author’s personal experiences and a bit less crafted to be inspiring.

All in all, this was a sweet and short read for spring break! I would recommend for the author’s more target audience, so I will be rereading when I’m a bit older. Otherwise, I think the topics discussed should be discussed by all age groups, so I definitely think it should be a book to add to your to-read list if you’re looking for a quick, uplifting read.

No comments:

Post a Comment